Friday, June 22, 2007

Camping 2007

We arrived home from our three night stay at St. Ignace State Park in the Upper Peninsula. A good time was had by all!
After crossing the Mackinac Bridge in HIGH winds driving only 30 mph, we found our way to the campground. Our little cabin-in-the-woods was great. There were two sets of bunks with a small dresser, table and four chairs. Plenty of room for all our camping supplies. The boys got busy unpacking the van. They unhooked all three bikes and each to responsibility for a task. John put together the frame for our kitchen awning and Brian put together our new folding camp table.
That afternoon John and Brian rode their bikes around the campground, exploring the area. I settled in with a book. Later we rode bikes down to Lake Huron. The Mackinac Bridge is so impressive!
All the area attractions were a MUST. We visited "Mystery Spot" where John walked up a wall! They also had fun finding their way through a 'maize' and playing a round of miniature golf. They talked me into climbing "Castle Rock", all 170 steps UP and back DOWN!
It was pretty windy but they insisted they wanted to swim. So we drove to the sand dunes along Lake Michigan where the waves were 4 - 6 feet high. They had a wonderful time jumping the waves and basically FREEZING in the water. After some fun in the sand, building sand castles and sculptures, we headed back to camp.
On Wed. we headed to Mackinaw Island. We rode bikes all over the island, played a round of miniature golf on real greens at a snazzy resort and learned to avoid driving through piles left behind by the horses. (There are NO MOTOR VEHICLES allowed.) I learned to change the bike gears and ride up hill after hill, since that is the only way to see anything. I know I got my work-out while seeing the Fort, the Governors Home on the island, riding the bike path through the woods to Arch Rock and seeing the famous Grand Hotel (location for filming "Somewhere In Time" w/ Christopher Reeves). While John went Horseback riding for the first time, Brian and I explored the shops, library and historic homes. It was a great time with perfect weather!
Each year I wonder if it will be our last trip, with the boys getting older. Will they still want to camp with Nana? I am always so thrilled when they talk of the next trip. Planning and deciding where to go. They have already checked out the available cabins at the state parks. Next years they want to visit southwest Michigan. However many camping trips we take together, I will always treasure each one, being able to spend the time with my grandsons and learning from them as much as I hope they are learning from me.

1 comment:

Tya said...

They always enjoy your camping trips. Can't wait to see all the pics I KNOW you took. :-)